A Heartwarming Tale of When the Worlds of a Neurotic Canine and a Crazy Cat Lady Collide! Kindle download available at Amazon.com.

Friday, March 16, 2012

WELCOME!

Welcome to my Tails of My Rescue Dog blog!  As I prepare for the release of my ebook, I thought I would take the opportunity to talk a little bit about the book.  First, I should say that this is a short story with seven chapters, a bonus chapter and a Preface and Epilogue.  It chronicles the challenges I faced as a first-time dog owner to a troubled rescue dog. Mindy was brought into a household where cats had always been the primary pets and it was a major adjustment for all of us.

With that being said, my book's primary focus is on our first year with Mindy.  My concept for this blog is to pick up where the book leaves off.  Even though it's been over 4 years since we rescued her, I still have plenty of questions and confusion when it comes to Mindy.  I would like to utilize this blog to interact with other dog owners for advice and ideas on how to deal with particular situations.

I would like to thank everybody for their support. If all goes as planned, the Kindle download should be available early next week!

 Hope you will be a frequent visitor to my blog!

Until next time...happy tails!
Dawn

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dawn!

    I just finished reading your book. I have that knowing grin on face. The grin that only those who have rescued a canine problem child can truly appreciate. Needless to say, I am a rescue momma too. About 14 years ago I adopted a little Rottweiler puppy. She was the runt of her little I was told and very skittish. The lady at the pound really "sold" this little girl to me. Like Mindy, my Zoey had issues from day one. The first thing we did when we got home was take a MUCH needed bath. I swear mud came off this tiny pup. Mud. She was filthy. And skiddish. Loud noises, doorbells, microwave ovens announcing the end of their cooking cycles, trucks going down the road and on and on and on. This is a Rottweiler for goodness sakes. I will tell you that your trainer was right, YOU must be in charge. Otherwise, all this behavior runs rampant and gets worse as time goes on. I sent my poor dog more mixed messages than anything else. When she was around four years old I FINALLY asked my vet about it. She told me to try Obedience training. I thought the damage was pretty well done by four!! It took six months of everyday training to have Zoey turn around. I had to desensitize her fears of noises. I bougth thunderstorm tapes and played them louder and louder each time we trained. I had friends work with us ringing the doorbell. I practiced "leaving" and assuring her that I would return! SIX months! Every day. I had to take Zoey to the vet to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge three years ago. She was 13, a long life for a Rottie. It had been years since she showed any real signs of anxiety about all her phobias. Those six months were so worth the effort. Trust me, she always had a few quirks leftover, but NOTHING like she was!! Thank you for touching a part of my heart I had forgotten about. I enjoyed it very much!! How is Mindy now? Thank you for reminding me that every moment I spent with Zoey was a pleasure! Hugs from a fellow cat and dog lover!! Clare (cookingclare@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare,
    Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your story of Zoey. She was very lucky to have you in her life. I love hearing stories of other people's experiences. It does sound like she and Mindy had many of the same nervous traits. We never know what we are going to get in a rescue dog, but all we can do is love them and give them a good home that they deserve.

    Mindy still has two sides to her. The soft gentle indoor Mindy and the outdoor Mindy who has become so difficult to walk. She still has strong chase instincts when she sees a cat, but she gets completely carried away when she sees another dog. Sometimes it's excitement and sometimes its aggression. Unfortunately it's hard to know which side I am going to get when we see another dog.

    Reading your story about Zoey gives me hope that I can still turn it around. It would be easy to just throw up my hands and say I give up and just live like this for the rest of her life. But that would be the easy way out and I am still determined to make her a good walker.

    Thank you again for sharing. I truly appreciate it! Hugs back to you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete